UK businesses can apply for a share of up to £1 million to develop innovative proposals with Singapore and other EUREKA countries.
Share of up to £1 million
17th Jun 2019
19th Sep 2019
EUREKA, in partnership with Enterprise Singapore, announce a Global Stars funding competition for research and development (R&D) projects under the EUREKA programme.
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, is investing £1 million to fund UK businesses leading collaborative research and development (R&D) projects.
Projects should result in a new product, industrial process or service, be innovative and involve a technological risk.
Your collaborative R&D proposal must demonstrate:
- a clear game-changing and/or disruptive innovative idea leading to new products, processes or services
- a strong and deliverable business plan that addresses (and documents) market potential and needs
- sound, practical financial plans and timelines
- good value for money which will always be a consideration in Innovate UK funding decisions
- a clear, evidence based plan to deliver significant economic impact, return on investment (ROI) and growth through commercialisation, as soon as possible after project completion
- clear, considerable potential to significantly benefit the UK economy and/or national productivity
- the benefit of participants from the countries working together and how this adds value
- a clear definitions of where intellectual property (IP) can be used and shared between the participants and countries
- a clear route to market within 2 to 3 years of project completion
The competition scope is open, however, applications are encouraged in:
- medical technology
- smart mobility and logistics
- advanced manufacturing
Your project must focus on industrial research but can include experimental development activities if considered appropriate.
To lead a project as a UK based organisation you must:
- be a UK business, of any size
- involve at least one UK based SME, unless the lead themselves is an SME
- the UK SME in your consortium must incur at least half of the UK total eligible project costs. If your consortium contains more than one UK SME, this minimum is shared between them
- collaborate with a lead organisation in Singapore
- follow the full process correctly
The consortium must include at least 2 businesses that are independent from each other:
- One business from Singapore.
- One business from one of the EUREKA member countries taking part in the project. As a minimum this would be the UK lead.
The funding is awarded as a grant. In EUREKA competitions, Innovate UK can fund a proportion of the industrial research project costs. This proportion depends on the size of your business:
- up to 70% if you are a micro or small business
- up to 60% if you are a medium-sized business
- up to 50% if you are a large business
Total eligible costs per project are expected to be between £100,000 and £1 million. This includes costs from all partners, from the UK and all other countries. The total grant available to the UK applicants is up to £350,000.
Your project can include subcontractors but they must not account for more than 20% of the UK total eligible costs.
This competition will not fund projects that:
- have non-civilian applications
- do not include at least one UK based business, one UK SME and one Singapore based business
- do not meet Innovate UK’s eligibility criteria
- do not submit all mandatory documentation